Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Graveyard Book , by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman
(Grades 4-6)

If you are a fan of audiobooks, this is a must-listen-to story read by the author. If you are not a fan of audiobooks, you should listen to this story anyway. I think many authors should not be allowed to read their own stories, but Neil Gaiman has a voice that would make a car manual intriguing.

I talked about this audiobook to my husband so much that he started listening to it too. After I put our son to bed we sat in bed with our headphones on making faces at each other and saying things like, "What! Don't look sad! What part are you at?! Wait, I'm not there yet, don't tell me!"

In this story an entire family, save the baby, is murdered in the opening chapter of this book, yet it wasn’t quite as dark as I expected. The baby escapes to a graveyard where he is protected (for a time) and raised by its inhabitants. But the assassin is still looking for the baby/boy/young man and the secrets of the graveyard can't keep him safe forever...

Don't get me wrong, this book isn’t bubbles and lollipops, but it was lovely and by far the best Newbery Medal book I've read in a long time.

To find this book or audiobook, please visit our website at www.newberglibrary.org


Reviewed by Korie B., Children’s Staff

No comments: