Friday, August 28, 2009

Charlie Parker Played Be Bop

Charlie Parker Played Be Bop, by Chris Raschka, performed by Richard Allen
Pre-school

"Charlie Parker played be bop. Charlie Parker played saxophone. The music sounded like be bop. Never leave your cat alone." Written to the rhythm of Parker's "A Night in Tunisia," Chris Raschka has crafted an engaging book that children will want to listen to over and over and over again.

After reading this book five thousand times I remembered the library has this book with a CD. Woohoo! Author Chris Raschka explains the story behind this book and then Richard Allen performs the story first at a slow pace, and then to the rhythm of "A Night in Tunisia." Although my one-year-old could care less for the explanation, he did groove to the music. So now when we read this story I sing it. I go for gusto rather than singing on key, which for me would be a pointless endevor, and because he's my son he grooves with me to this syncopated delight.

You might enjoy the Between the Lions Be Bop episode as well.

Find this title and others at newberglibrary.org

Reviewed by Korie B., Children's Staff

No comments: