Saturday, June 27, 2009

Fun With Roman Numerals by David Adler

Fun With Roman Numerals by David Adler
(Grade 2 and up)

Somehow, my childhood education didn't include a detailed explanation of Roman numerals. I have picked up the basics over time - I means 1 and II means 2 - but have limped my way through the rest. Fun With Roman Numerals is a new book from author David Adler, a former math teacher. Just by flipping through its pages, I could suddenly understand why XVI means 16 and CLI means 151. Illustrator Edward Miller III (how fitting!) adds bold color and silly Roman scenes that make even a math book seem lively and fun. Plenty of specific examples are included with a page devoted to each. Adler offers additional activities using coins as well as an 'I spot a Roman numeral' feature at the book's conclusion. A wonderful book to add to elementary math curriculum or to keep those number skills fresh during the summer! To find this book at our library, visit http://www.newberglibrary.org/.

Reviewed by Amanda L., Children's Staff


No comments: