Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate DiCamillo
(Grades 3-5)

From the time this book came out I heard wonderful reviews. But I don't usually like books with animals that act like people, and I found the cover very unappealing. When I recently finally got around to reading it - I LOVED it, of course. Edward does not act like a person, he acts like a stuffed rabbit, passed from person to person, changing the lives of others and most profoundly changing his own. It was a little bit Velveteen Rabbit, but on a much bigger scale. When I read this with the book club kids they unanimously loved it, with the exception of the cover. They thought it didn't represent the book well since the scene is from his dream and the illustration does not match the description in the book. So don't judge this book by it's cover (unless you like the cover, good for you) and pick it up at the library today!

To find this book please visit: www.newberglibrary.org

Reviewed by Korie B., Children's Staff

No comments: