Tuesday, March 10, 2009

10 Things I Can Do To Help My World by Melanie Walsh

10 Things I Can Do To Help My World by Melanie Walsh
Preschool - Grade 1

As Spring approaches thoughts often turn to improving household habits. Helping the environment is at the top of our list, but it is often difficult to explain the concept to our young son. Author Melanie Walsh has come to the rescue with her new book (made out of 100% recycled material no less). These are tips that children can actually do, and "help my world" seems to resonate better than "save my world" which can be overwhelming. The bold illustrations, creative die-cuts and simple text are perfect for teaching young children about the world around them. The die-cuts are especially well-done with each tip divided into a unique page turn. For instance, the text reads " I help..." over a page full of recyclables which, when turned, reveals each item in its appropriate container and the words, "sort the recycling." The storyteller can choose to read only the large text for read-alouds or to include Walsh's additional explanation for one-on-one time with older children. The book is never preachy or confusing - just inspiring and fun. Perfect for Earth Day or any other day of the year.

To find this book in our library, visit www.newberglibrary.com. 

Reviewed by Amanda L., Children's Staff

No comments: